Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tasmania - November 2008


Couple of nice ''breakfast' fish (above) caught in the Meander River by myself.
My Mate Colie and I made our annual pilgrimage over to the Great Lakes in Tassie the weekend of Melbourne Cup. This years trip wasn't as near fruitful as previous years. It seems that crews trolling lures (Tassie Devils in yellow body, black strips) cleaned up with catches of 20 plus fish per boat per day being common. Being die-hard fly fisher folk, we slogged it out through hard and testing conditions. Our first two days saw bright, clear and cloudless days - unfortunately by the time we saw the fish, they saw us and headed for deeper waters. Fish proved to be very spooky under these conditions. Our third and forth days saw cloudy, windy, blustery days which made it difficult to keep our flies under control. By the fith day (and some couple of thousand casts later) I had worn my skin down to the flesh on one of my fingers through pulling the fly line over it - ouchy!

No comments: